[video:https://youtu.be/bbnrz8_UeRY width:560 height:315 align:center]
Hi! My name is Juho and I live aboard s/y Sylvia. I’m now planning to spend my second winter skiing and sailing in Northern Norway, high above the Arctic Circle.
Frequently asked questions
- What boat is that? - It’s a Beneteau Idylle 11.50 from 1986, a sturdy fiberglass construction in very good condition but uninsulated
- Are you always alone? - No, I have friends or my girlfriend Sohvi with me about half of the time
- Does it get cold? - Yes :)
- 2018: Sailed from Finland to Norway and spent the first winter
- 2019: Sailed to Svalbard and back, where we skied some new lines. In Svalbard participated Gdansk Technical University's Sval-POPs project, collecting snow samples for the research of persistent organic pollutants and how they’re spreading to the Arctic.
- 2019 summer: Collecting glacier imagery for Norway’s glacier atlas, which is a free hydrology data source, used by scientists for example to track the effects of climate change on the glaciers. Kitesurfing and sailing in Finnmark, Norway.